First Teacher is a community of parents and caregivers working together to prepare all our children for success in kindergarten and beyond.
We believe we are our child's first teacher.
Started in 2014, First Teacher works with families with at least one child under the age of 6 who live in Roxbury or Dorchester or receives services in this area. The majority of our participants are parents and caretakers, ages 18-55, with children between 2 weeks and 5 years old.
First Teacher encourages parents/caregivers to recognize their role as their child’s first and most important teacher. We help to create a community where parents learn, teach and connect with each other to help their children become not only school ready, but world ready.
We are parents and guardians who:
- Take time to invest in the future: our child’s, our own, and our community’s
- Empower each other and recognize our own power
- Accept that we are our children’s guides to the world
- Commit to lighting up our children’s brains
- Have the courage to ask for help